Tuesday 27 November 2012

Queen of Hearts


On the 28th of August 1996, Prince Charles and Princess Diana's divorce was finalized. The messy affair had come to an end, but not without any consequences. The Princess was stripped of her title as "Her Royal Highness" and would forever remain as "Diana, Princess of Wales". But the biggest impact concerned her two young sons, William, 13, and Harry, 11. 

My story isn't about an original character, but it is still about a real-life event. Basically, it is a rewriting of the royal divorce within a fairy tale setting, and seen through the eyes of a young Prince William. During the divorce, Prince William tried to comfort his mother by saying, "Don't worry, Mummy. I will give it back to you one day when I am King."  I hope it's not too confusing.


*~*~*~*


          A long time ago, there existed a beautiful kingdom under the rule of a beautiful Queen. Her subjects adored her compassion for the young and old, the rich and poor, and the wanted and ousted. Her soldiers obeyed her every command for she was skilled in warfare, and courageous in battle. But above all, she shone the brightest in her children’s eyes.

The kingdom prospered under their beloved Queen, but one day, this happiness came to an end. It all began when the Queen decided to leave.  

                                                                       I hope for your health
And also your safety
I hope to be here forever
So you’ll never be lonely


A sense of discomfort cloaked the kingdom on that day of misfortune. All the windows were shut for some of the people were mourning. White roses, the Queen’s favourite, were placed on each doorstep. A slight breeze swept away a single petal, whisking it through the avenue of the darkened figures, before floating into the carriage of William Louis and his younger brother, Henry.

“Are you sure there’s nothing we can do to change her mind?”
“I don’t know. I’ve tried everything.”
“Are you sure?”
“Henry, stop! She said we’ll see her again.”
“She didn’t say when.”

William sat silently, knowing that nothing he said could appease his brother. Even he wasn’t certain if his words were convincing enough. He tried his best to maintain a façade, but secretly he was scared. If he couldn’t make his own mother stay, how could he make an entire kingdom pledge their undying loyalty to an inexperienced King?

And so, the carriage drew the silent siblings to the palace. Two ceremonies would be taking place, a coronation for Alexander, and a farewell for his mother.

She was there, waiting for them, waiting to leave the people who loved her most.      
     

 I hope for your forgiveness
For the hurt I have caused
I hope for God to help you
Whenever you are lost


It was not a good day for the coachman. He was having trouble navigating the carriage along the busy roads. It didn’t help either that the cannons would boom four at a time every half an hour, frightening Snowy and Dusty into a neighing frenzy. It was strange, really, seeing this hubbub.

Never in his forty-five years of livelihood, had he seen such a contradicting occasion. People clad in mourning garb were weeping while some others were smiling; the ones in their colourful costumes weren’t any different, either. If you were looking down from a balcony, you would see a clashing mix of black, pink, orange, yellow, green, and grey bobbing together in the same direction.

As the carriage arrived in front of the entrance, the coachman took another look at the people behind the palace gates. He spotted an excited couple, trying their hardest to not get swallowed by the crowd. The man was wearing a golden carnival mask while holding tightly onto a woman covered by a black veil.

“The country’s gone mad,” whispered the coachman to himself.     
         

I hope for the best
On this journey you’re in
I hope you will catch
That elusive dream

           
            “Excuse me, Your Highnesses,” said the footman, “I bear a message from Her Majesty.”
            “What is it, Leon?”
            “Her Majesty would like to see you in her chambers, Your Highness.”
            “Did she say why?”
            “I’m afraid not.”
            Henry was anxiously tugging his hand.
            “Come on, Wills! Let’s not keep mother waiting.”
            Leon was startled. He knew he just made a mistake.
            “I-I’m sorry, Prince Henry, my apologies. Her Majesty only requested Prince William’s presence.”
            “Oh… Well, that’s all right,” Henry turned to his brother, their hands no longer linked. “Say hi for me, will you?” he asked, forcing a small smile.
           
I hope I won’t miss you
But we know that’s not true
I hope you’ll be happy
Oh dear, how I love you

            
            William stared at the sofa across from him. There sat the Queen with a teacup in hand, the perfect picture of aging elegance.
            “Why didn’t you let Henry join us?”
            “I don’t think I could bear it if I saw him.”
            “When will you return?”
            “Wrong question, my dear.”
            The tears threatened to fall. He couldn’t cry. Not now, not in front of his mother.
            “When will we meet?”
            “Soon, but not too soon, I hope.” Discreetly, she wiped her palms on the cushion.
           
            “My dear, may I ask of a favour?”
            “Yes?”
            ”Please, don’t forget me.”
            
            For the first time, he saw his mother unmasked. She was uncertain of what was waiting for her at the end. She was lost. She was like him.
           
           “I won’t, I promise.”

The Queen beamed back her signature smile. William realized it would be quite a while until he could see it again.

“Don’t worry, mother. When I am King, I’ll make sure you’ll get back everything they took away from you.”
“Oh William, thank you but that’s not necessary. I desire nothing else as long as you and Henry are still here.”

 He wished to say more, anything to lessen her pain, but unfortunately, he was interrupted by a door knock.
            
            “It’s time, Your Majesty, Your Highness,” Leon said, a solemn expression etched on his face.
            “Tell Henry I love him.”

 And with a peck on his cheek, she disappeared from his sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment